Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Know Yourself

I sit and listen to numerous politicians every day, every week, every month. As I sit and listen, I often find myself questioning what they say. Where did that statistic come from? Why would they articulate a statement in that manner? What is the root of what they believe? Are they going to abide by their word? These questions flood my mind no matter who is speaking or what is being said.

I attend a luncheon every week that host a variety of politicians. There are mainly republicans and conservatives, but there are also democrats and liberals. Wait... Can that really happen? Is freedom of speech a REAL thing? Yes, darling, it is. And let me tell you, it's beautiful. Today I listened to a more liberal politician. I listened to the conversations, and was even brought into one before the speaker commenced, on how no one could believe he was speaking at a CONSERVATIVE political luncheon. It made me smile. And here's the crazy part... I LIKED some of what he said. Now, do I agree with everything? Absolutely not. Will I vote for him? I'm not leaning that way, but I do appreciate what he has to say and WHY he has to say it.






Taken from http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Freedom_of_Thought_Ben_Franklin.jpg

Anyway, I say all of this to simply say-It's time to know yourself. Can you go into a place, whether it be school, political luncheon, church, or house and stand your ground? Do you know what you believe? And more importantly, do you know why you believe the way you believe?

If you cannot answer these questions, I strongly urge you to take time and make your own ideology. What are your core values? What are your beliefs? Dig into those and find out WHY. Because, those are the questions that determine who you are.

If you do not do this, you are going to be thrown into the wind with absolutely no determined or preset direction. People can use and abuse you as their puppets. Before you know it, you will not understand who you are. That, my dear, is the darkest, scariest place to be.

These questions are not simply focused on politics; no, they are for every aspect of your life. Ask questions, do not be afraid. If someone or something gives you resistance, fight back even stronger. Understand what you believe and why you believe. It's time, my dear, to know yourself, and to follow your passions.

No comments:

Post a Comment